WEXFORD COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) — With millions of people affected by Facebook’s data breach including many in northern Michigan, local technology experts are offering tips on how to keep your information safe.
Jason Specht owns Spec Tech, a computer and technology service in Cadillac. Specht says there are some simple steps you can take to protect your personal information online and through social media accounts.
“[Users] want to feel safe, they want to feel good, they want to think they are not going to be the ones affected but I see it happen all the time,” Specht said.
According to Specht, it’s important to pay attention to security and privacy settings on each application, website or social media site you use.
“The software [or programs] that you use, look at what they offer for protection like Facebook for example, they might offer specific permissions for features of their sites like who can see this and who cannot, look through that and all that information is right on Facebook,” Specht explained.
Other Tips to Securing Information:
- Create a secure password
- Log out of sites, apps or devices you are not using at the moment
- Keep a password on your phone
- Be sure to know the sites you click
- Keep track of who you communicate with and are “friends” with on social networks
- Check if the site you are wishing to visit matches the URL
- Familiarize yourself with privacy settings on social network sites or apps
- Frequently check that your computer is clear of viruses
- Use a advertising blocking extension such as AdBlock to eliminate potential dangerous pop-up ads
- Contact technicians or computer/technology specialists if you have any suspicion of scams or threats